Thursday, July 17, 2008

Only a little bad today (x-posted everywhere)

I REALLY needed a new pillow. The one I have is 20 years old and I think it's earned it's retirement, but new latex foam pillows are expensive (relatively) and shopping is not one of my favorite things. I went to Mervyn's (like Dillards, Neiman-Marcus) and they didn't have any. Sears used to have them, but they don't anymore, either. So I looked online. YES! there are 100% natural real honest-to-goodness-came from a tree latex pillows out there! But, they want $100 each for them after shipping and handling. *faint* Ok, so I went to Amazon. Yes, they have 18 pillows that are 100% natural latex. I ordered the one that was on sale for $30 and had free shipping included. In case you're wondering, on Amazon, the median price is about $50.

I NEED a latex pillow because I never know if I'm going to sleep on my side, stomach, or back and latex supports no matter what, without choking you if you end up on your stomach. High loft down and poly-fil pillows will choke or smother you, which makes for a nasty wake-up experience and overall not very restful sleep.

So the new pillow will be here in a few days and I can toss the old one without guilt pangs for throwing it in a landfill because it's biodegradable. :)

Then, I also needed a new-old phone. I want one that doesn't have a gazillion buttons, doesn't need batteries, or need to be plugged into the electrical system, for when the power goes out and I need to call the electric company to complain. But, the one I have, right now, the one that's stationary, not a walk-around phone with all the CID, and speakerphone, and call messaging, and ringtone variables, the one that's secure that I can use without fear of being intercepted if I want to give out my private information over the phone, has too many buttons and one of my cats is particularly fond of mashing them. He's confused three modern phones by this method, so I need to go back to a style like Ma Bell used to make, just the keypad buttons for dialing and a flash button for answering the call-waiting, that when the handset is on the cradle, pushing the buttons doesn't matter. I found one! *yea!* It was around $30, too.

So you see, the things I bought really were necessary for my quality of life. I don't think that's too much to ask, and I did shop around to get the best deal.

1 comment:

Lady Visine said...

Hi!!! Yes, I've decided to try to return to blogging! Nice about your new pillow. I never realized/knew that latex is/was a natural product! I thought it was a man-made material.

congrats on finding the phone, too. That must have been a bit of a daunting task!

Love you - sweet dreams!